Aggressive Representation for Theft (Larceny), Fraud & Extortion in Poughkeepsie and Throughout the Hudson Valley
Providing trustworthy legal assistance to clients throughout New York
At the Law Office of Christopher S. Coleman, PLLC, we understand how stressful battling a charge for theft (larceny), fraud or extortion can be. If convicted, you may face a lengthy prison sentence and costly fines. In addition, you will have a criminal record that can follow you around for the rest your life. Although you are not required to retain an attorney, doing so is in your best interest.
Below please find additional information on theft (larceny), fraud or extortion:
- Theft (larceny): The crime of theft, also known as larceny, covers everything from shoplifting of a low-priced item to bank robbery. Regardless of whether you are charged with a misdemeanor or a felony, you will need a lawyer to assist. Combating a theft charge is possible as long as you have an experienced attorney by your side.
- Fraud: Any time a person uses deception for monetary gain, they have committed an act of fraud. Most cases of fraud are considered white-collar crimes. However, although fraud is typically a nonviolent crime, the penalties are severe. If you are convicted on charges of fraud, you could receive a long prison sentence. To protect yourself, you need to hire a knowledgeable lawyer who has experience assisting clients charged with white-collar offenses.
- Extortion: Extortion is the act of gaining capital or an asset of value through force or coercion. An accusation of extortion must be taken seriously. If you or someone you love faces charges for extortion, seek legal aid immediately.
What to do if you are arrested for theft (larceny), fraud or extortion in Poughkeepsie or the Hudson Valley area
If police detain you for theft (larceny), fraud or extortion, it is important to take advantage of your Fifth Amendment rights and remain silent. However, this does not mean you should be disruptive or impolite to law enforcement officers. Instead, simply state that you are invoking your right to remain silent and that you would like to speak to your lawyer.
The moment you ask for an attorney, all police questioning must cease. Next, you should wait for your lawyer to arrive. Once your attorney is present, you can begin formulating a solid defense strategy.
Knowledgeable theft defense in Poughkeepsie and throughout the Hudson Valley area
The Law Office of Christopher S. Coleman, PLLC is prepared to provide you with reliable legal aid if you face charges for theft (larceny), fraud or extortion. Highly qualified and experienced, we look forward to fighting for you. For more information on our services, contact us today by phone at 845-454-2569 or via our online form.
Learn about our Law Firm
- Criminal Defense Overview
- DWI Traffic Offenses
- Business Law and Commercial
- Residential Real Estate
- Civil Litigation and Personal Injury
- Family Law
- Estate Planning